Women's Rock Camp
Wish that Girls Rock Camp existed when you were a kid? It's not too late! The Women's Rock Camp Sampler is a musical adventure for people ages 19 and up. In a one day condensed version of summer camp, campers attend instrument lessons, form bands, write songs together, and perform at a showcase for adoring fans.
This is a great opportunity to have some fun, learn some basic skills on a new instrument or deepen your skills on a current one. Dust off that old guitar and those rock star dreams and do something fun, silly AND empowering.
Not only is Women's Rock Camp a thrilling and fun experience - all proceeds support our youth programs. At Bay Area Girls Rock Camp, it is our mission is to be accessible to all girls regardless of their families’ financial situation. We offer full and partial financial aid for all of our youth programs with no one turned away for lack of funds. At Women's Rock Camp, you are empowering the next generation while empowering and celebrating your peers.
Tuition for the Women's Rock Camp Sampler is $200 - $1000. All payments over $400 count as tax-deductible donations.
WRC is for all women, trans and gender expansive people ages 19 to infinity years old. NO MUSICAL EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY, and all skill levels are welcome. We provide meals and instruments, so all you have to do is show up.
Sunday October 8th, 2017! 10:00am - 5:00 p.m.
Malonga Casquelourd Center For the Arts. 1428 Alice St, Oakland CA, 94612
WRC Sampler Schedule:10:00 - 10:30: Check-in and coffee, tea and snacks
10:30 - 11:00: Band Formation
11:00 - 11:15: Break
11:15 - 1:00: Instrument Instruction
1:00 - 2:00: Lunch
2:00 - 4:00: Band Practice
4:00 - 5:30: Performance/Open Mic! Friends and family are welcome to join and participate!
Past Participants Say:
- "...Rock Camp was an all-around great experience and I'd do it again in a heartbeat."
- "Super fun. Such an amazing rockin' time."
- "I have attended many workshops and inspiring retreats, and I can fully say this was the best one of them all. Thank you so much for working so hard on this...you are appreciated."
- "Wonderful staff and volunteers! Everyone was always in high spirits, very motivational, supportive, positive, encouraging, and loving all in one."
- Instrument instruction: Campers sign up to learn bass, drums, guitar, keyboards, or vocals, and attend lessons in groups of 3-6 students. No musical experience is required and campers are grouped by experience level. We provide instruments for everyone (but campers are welcome to bring their own guitar or bass).
- Band practice: Campers form bands and collaborate to write an original song. Each band works with a female mentor (their "band manager") who provides guidance, encouragement and technical support throughout the songwriting process.
- Showcase: Each band performs its original song in an open mic! Friends and family are welcome to attend and perform!
Awards & Press
- 2013: Women's Rock Camp wins "Best Rock 'n' Roll Fastasy Camp." Full article here.
- Check out this great article about WRC 2013: "A Woman's World" by Kathleen Richards from the East Bay Express.
- "Women Can Rock For a Cause" - April 2013 | Elliot Owen, The Bay Area Reporter
Q: What are the usual ages of WRC participants?
A: Participants represent a wide range of ages- so far we've had campers between 19 and 72!
Q: How much can I learn starting from zero?
A: Check out RAD WRC BANDS to see how much you can learn!!
Q: What did past participants have to say about instrument instruction at WRC?
• "Guitar - Was totally awesome, a miracle to learn so much so quickly. Nice to be able to request things to learn too."
• "I liked how the instructor catered to different learning styles (visual, audio, kinesthetic, etc)."
• "I thought the drum instruction was a great introduction to the fundamentals. And Carey and Anna did a great job - very patient with us, gave us enough time to get the hang of stuff and also showed us lots of variations that weren't too hard to understand, at least for beginners."
• "Bass class was awesome! Kyle is really a phenomenal instructor. She was clear, direct, and engaging. I especially love her positive and humorous attitude.....and appreciate her ability to connect with our beginning skill levels, but still make it a fun and challenging class."
Q: If friends sign up together, can they be in the same band?
A: In most cases, yes. We just need to keep an eye on the instrumentation (so your band doesn’t have three drummers, etc). Please email Shawna if you’re hoping to be in a band with friends.
Q: If a whole band signs up together, can they get matched (stay together) as a band at WRC?
A: Yes, WRC is a great opportunity for bands to have fun and develop skills together. In addition to instrument instruction and songwriting instruction, your band will have the chance to work with a band coach, connect with other women musicians, learn some music herstory, and much more.
Q: I have an important and unavoidable commitment during WRC - is it okay to miss part of the day?
A: It's not ideal to miss part of the day, but it's fine. Be sure to check in with Shawna, so that we can figure out what sessions you will miss, in case there's any handouts or anything that we'll want to let you know before the next day.
Q: How do I confirm my WRC spot, and what are my tuition payment options?
A: Tuition for Women's Rock Camp is sliding scale $300 to $1000. Each participant's contribution goes directly into our financial aid fund. To confirm/hold your WRC spot:
Before October 1st: Please make a payment towards your full tuition within two weeks of your application. If you are unable to pay your full tuition at once, you may pay in installments:
• Installment plan: Maximum of 5 installments. Each installment should be $50 or more.
• If you'd like to pay in installments, please contact Shawna and let her know your plan!
After October 5th:
Please pay your full tuition as soon as possible since WRC is fast approaching! You will receive an email from the WRC Coordinator with more details.
Q: What is the WRC refund/cancellation policy?
A: If you need to cancel your enrollment in WRC, please call 510.267.1808 or email Shawna as soon as possible. Should you need to cancel your enrollment prior to September 24th, we will charge a $25 processing fee. From September 25th-30th, partial (50%) refunds can be given (minus a $25 processing fee). Beginning October 1st, 2017, tuition cannot be refunded.
Q: Do I need to pack a lunch?
A: Coffee and bagels will be provided in the morning. BAGRC will also be providing lunch.
Q: Will there be a waiting list if the program fills up?
Q: Is the program site wheelchair accessible?
Q: What about parking and transportation?
- Public Transportation: The 12th St. BART Station is 6 blocks away from the Malonga Center. There are also multiple AC Transit bus lines that stop within a few blocks. For more information on public transportation, visit http://www.transit.511.org.
- Car: There is a daytime parking lot across from the Malonga Center that charges $6.50 in cash. Street parking has a two hour time limit and please beware that parking enforcement is FIERCE in the area.
Q: I live in the area and am interested in hosting a camper from out of town. How do I sign up?
A: There may be a few WRC participants who do not live in the area, and would like to stay with a host. If you are interested in hosting a fellow camper, please contact Shawna.
Q: I’m from out of the area. What are my options for lodging in Oakland?
A: There are various options for places to stay, including: staying with another ARC camper or BAGRC volunteer; staying in a local hotel/motel/hostel (could be shared with another out-of-town WRC camper; or checking AirBnB or http://www.couchsurfing.org. You can check out reviews for local hotels/hostels on sites like lonelyplanet.com, tripadvisor.com, etc. Some nearby local hotels include:
• Clarion Hotel Downtown Oakland City Center. About 3 blocks from WRC site.
• Oakland Marriott Civic Center. About 7 blocks from WRC site.
• The Washington Inn About 9 blocks from WRC site.
• The Courtyard Marriot Oakland Downtown
Q: Was WRC formerly known as Ladies Rock Camp?
A: Yup, from 2009 to 2012. We are now Women's Rock Camp or WRC.
Q: My question is not on this list, what should I do?
A: Please call 510.267.1808 or email Shawna for any other questions!