Our summer camp is a week-long program for girls ages 8-18. Campers attend instrument lessons, form a band, collaboratively write an original song, participate in daily music and empowerment-related workshops, and perform with their band at a live showcase at the end of the week.
Camp is held at Oakland School for the Arts at 530 18th Street in Downtown Oakland. The camp is fully accessible with access to elevators. Camp runs Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm.Showcases will take place at the New Parish, 579 18th St, Oakland, on Saturday from 2-5pm. See detailed schedule below.
2018 Camp Dates
Session 1: June 11th - 15th. Showcase June 16th
Teen Week: July 9th - 13th. Showcase July 14th (Junior High and High School only)
Who May Apply For Camp
Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is open to self-identified girls aged 8-18. Although our camp centers the experiences of young women, we are committed to gender justice and creating an inclusive environment that supports a wide range of marginalized gender identities and expressions --- we also serve gender expansive and non-binary youth. Our growing vision is Gender Inclusivity through Radical Love and Support.
Is Experience Required?
No music experience necessary! Enrollment is limited to 80 campers per session and registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Session 2 is Teen Week specifically for Junior High and High School students. During all sessions campers are divided into 2 age groups, we reserve 40 spots for each age group to ensure an equal distribution.
As we all know and have experienced, the cost of living has increased greatly in the Bay Area and beyond these past few years. In the last two years Bay Area Girls Rock Camp's office rent has increased by just under $500 and rental fees for our summer program have increased nearly $3,000. In order to offset these costs we will be raising tuition from $450 to $500 beginning in the summer of 2017. As always, financial aid is readily available. We have adjusted our financial aid guidelines to reflect the increased cost of living as well. Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is committed to keeping our programs accessible to all regardless of income. Thank you for your continued support!
Tuition is $0-$500 sliding scale, with no one turned away for lack of funds. Full and partial financial aid is readily available. If you plan on applying for financial aid, please fill in the financial aid application in addition to the camper application so that we can determine your tuition amount. Otherwise, full tuition is $500.
Interested in volunteering at summer camp? Find out more on our volunteer page.
- Instrument instruction: Campers sign up to learn bass, drums, guitar, keyboards, or vocals, and attend daily lessons in small groups. No musical experience is required and campers are grouped by experience level. We provide instruments for everyone (but campers are welcome to bring their own guitar or bass).
- Band practice: Campers form bands with their peers on the first day of camp, and work together to collaboratively write an original song. Each band works with two female mentors (their "band managers") who provide guidance, encouragement and technical support throughout the songwriting process.
- Workshops: Campers attend a different workshop each day, all geared toward self-expression and building confidence, while challenging gender stereotypes and addressing discrimination. Workshops may include Music Herstory, Zine & Comic Making, Screenprinting, Image & Identity, Healthy Relationships, Video-making, Songwriting, How to Book a Show, Self-Defense, Alternative Instruments and more.
- Lunchtime Performances: Each day at lunch we invite a band or performer to play for the campers and talk afterward about their experience as musicians. In order to expose campers to new types of music and different performance styles, we invite musicians from a variety of genres.
- Showcase: On Saturday afternoon, each band performs its original song at a live showcase, attended by 300-400 friends, family and adoring fans.
8:30-9:00: Camper Arrival & Check-in (Arrive at 8:00 on Monday for initial check-in)
9:00-9:30: Morning Assembly
9:30-11:30: Instrument Instruction
11:30-12:30: Lunch & Live Performance
12:30-2:30: Loud Band Practice
2:30-3:00: Quiet Band Practice & Snack
4:30-5:00: Afternoon Assembly/Open Mic/Presentation
How To Apply
Camper and Financial Aid applications will be posted in January of 2018!
- We use a rolling application process, enrollment is first-come, first-served. Once we process your application, a spot is reserved for your camper. However, an instrument is not assigned until we receive both the Express Yourself piece and a tuition payment.
- We do not assign bands before the camp session begins. On the first day of camp, we have Band Formation activities that help inform the band assignments, and we take many different factors into account when forming the bands. If your camper has a friend at camp that she would like to be in a band with, she can indicate that on her Band Formation activity sheet on the first day.